Tuesday, March 4, 2008

E. Gary Gygax (1938 - 2008)

Rest in Peace, Gary Gygax.

For those of you who haven't heard, Mr. Gygax died today. I know I have a few readers that won't know who he is, so for your sake, Gary Gygax is the man who co-invented the tabletop roleplaying game "Dungeons and Dragons", and has widely become an cultural icon for the game.

I can't really speak for anyone else, but I can say that D&D has had a profound impact on my life. I credit roleplaying with helping develop my social skills and providing me with a tool to improve my creativity and writing. Dungeons and Dragons has cultivated my dreams and fantasies, forged friendships. and is the source for many of my favorite stories.

It might seem like a silly nerd thing to some people, but Dungeons and Dragons means a lot to me, and the passing of Ernest Gary Gygax is a day to be marked and remembered. I know that I wouldn't be the same without him, and I promise you that his influence on your life is probably much more impactful than you realize.

"...when you help create something as big as D&D, you're changing the world in a billion tiny ways that are out of your control." - Rich Berlew

"Well, it was just great. I had done something that so many people were having a great time with. I obviously love the game and I loved sharing with so many people. It's a great sense of camaraderie." - Gary Gygax


Tomorrow: Divinus the Unbreakable.

No comments: